You are a little boat in a big ocean - You cannot do it - Motivational Speech

It was the release date of my first novel and I was really excited but not all of my friends were happy about my excitement over it. Especially, one friend of mine started to warn me about my excitement on our way back to home. 
I said, "I am working to become a known writer and probably, would like to become famous someday."
He replied, "Do you know how many authors are there in this world? Do you know how many books are published in one year?" 
I replied sarcastically, "Why am I feeling you are kind of threatening me?" 
He replied, "All I am asking is, do you really think you got a chance to make it big? You are like a little boat in a big ocean." 
"Wow, Einstein stop right there." is what I thought to myself and all I did was smile. 
I knew he is thinking that I would not make it big because he feels he cannot make it big. I mean, I don't mind constructive criticism but someone who has not even read one single blog of mine and judging that I cannot make it big is foolish from his part. 
Looking at my smiling face he said, "Do not smile and think about it logically if I want to marry Cameron Diaz then can I get married to her?" 
I said, "Did you try it in the first place?" 
He replied, "I am not you. I know it would be stupid because in that case I am a small boat and she is the ocean." 
I said, "You know people called Einstein stupid." and then I had to shut him up with the little boat comments of his, so I said, "Did you know a little boat can make waves in a big ocean. Oh, I forgot you never trust a small boat to sail in a big ocean." 
He replied, "It would be crushed in pieces and you know that." 
I said, "How the hell you know that? Have you ever tried it before?" 
He replied, "You know it is a metaphor but I guess you might not know what is Metaphor." Ouch, he was very direct in insulting me and it touched my heart in a sarcastic way. 
I replied,"However, the situation is no different than that. No entrepreneur was a big boat when he started his journey. Even a king was a child someday." 
He replied, "All this things look good in a movie and not in real life." 
I replied, "Dear, have you seen any inspirational movie at all. If you have done then you would realize all of the good motivational movies are inspired by real life stories." 
Finally, he leaves the small boat metaphor and says, "I am saying this so that you do not feel hurt when you do not make it big." 
I replied, "Have you ever read any of my article or blogs?" 
He said, "No." 
I wanted to bring back the boat example to torture him a little bit so I said, "Do you think Viking Cinderella can sail in big ocean." 
He replied, "I thought boat and oceans are over." 
I insisted and asked, "Just tell me what do you think?" 
He said reluctantly, "I do not know." 
I said, "Why do not you try?" 
He replied, "I do not know how big the boat is." 
I said, "I thought you are good at that." 
He said, "How can I say that? What are you getting up to with this?" 
I said, "As you knew how good my writing is without reading any of my articles with your super powers, I thought, you would be able to guess even that." 
He replied, I get your point but you are not getting mine. I am just trying to help you as I do not want you to get hurt if you fail." 
I replied, " You think I can write an entire book and cannot handle failure." (Note: My first book was not a success and I took it really good. Just to point out I am refraining from saying failure because when I used failure along with my first book some of my readers got really defensive and said that it was one of the best thriller Indian books they have read and it was far from failure. I just wanted to say I used failure as in not to say that book turned out bad but just that the sales were not that high as I expected.)
He said, "I have seen many people get hurt after seeing their dreams being crushed. I am just your well wisher."  
When he said that it did shift some cells in my brain. I did not say a word as I just hated such well wishers, one back at office where my delivery manager has not yet paid off the salary I was suppose to get and here a well wisher friend who does not believe in me. Both well wishers are thinking about me. One does not want to give me what I deserve so I work harder to get it and the second does not want me to write as I would break my heart. I fucking hate such people and I was pissed off, so what did I do. 
I thought why not piss him a little and so I started to sing, "Like a small boat in the ocean, Sending big waves into motion, Like how a single word, Can make your heart open, I might have only one match but I can make an explosion. (Lyrics from fight song)
It did piss him off and I did get solace in his irritation. Not sure if it was right but it definitely felt good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pain - Does it break you or make you a believer?

I was hearing a song on repeat and my Indian mother could not be more irritated and asked, 'Can you stop listening to this crappy Englis...