Defeat defeat

The other day one of my best friends visited my house. I was inside my bedroom talking to a friend of mine, who is always there for me. The one friend I can depend on even more than my best friend.
My best friend overheard my conversation from outside the room and knocked on the door. I said, "The door is open. You can come in."
He opened the door and asked, "Whom you were talking to?"
 I replied, "To one of my friends."
He said, "I could hear you talking about defeat and that you should never give up. Is everything OK?" 
I said, "No, that friend of mine. He is down and is fed up with life. He does not have any motivation to continue with his dream. All the years of hard work, he wants to give it away.
He said that he is defeated by life."
He asked, " So, what did you say to him?" I replied, "What is defeat? What does it mean to get defeated? Defeat is not real; it is just an illusion—an idea or fear of losing. See, losing and winning is real. But defeat is just a worm born in your head. It is losing well before you have lost. It is a doubt in your head. It is a daemon that would always remind you of your failures. Who would want you to give up? Because it is easy to give up. That daemon knows that very well. It is just feeding on your laziness. It is feeding on your insecurities. It is feeding on the negative things people say to you.
You can quit and believe in whatever the daemon says to you. But let me tell you this it isn't real. It isn't you. It does not even know you. You are not a quitter. Not the one I use to know. Cause you were the winner, you were the one whom everyone looked up to winning a lost match. You are a winner, not a quitter. Winner ain't quitters. You cannot even think of winning before you kill the worm inside your brain, which says you cannot do it. Who are you? You are an engineer. You are a trainer. You are a writer. You are what you want to be. So defeat defeat." I was on a roll. Anyone could hear the excitement in my voice.
He said, "Wow, that was some speech. Who is that friend of yours? Do I know him?"
I replied, "You know him very well."
He asked, "Have I seen him before."
I replied, "It is hard to say that. All I can say he lives within your best friend."
He looked baffled and said, "You are my best friend."
I just laughed.

Hrithik Roshan's defeat inspired me to write this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pain - Does it break you or make you a believer?

I was hearing a song on repeat and my Indian mother could not be more irritated and asked, 'Can you stop listening to this crappy Englis...